Thursday, September 22, 2011

Perfect Paris

9/10/11 Mon septieme jour en Paris.  A little drama this morning at the hotel.  I went downstairs for breakfast about 8:30, said “Bonjour” to the hotel employee.  No answer.  No set-ups on the tables.  No response from the Muslim girl attending the salon de petit dejeuner.  I managed to find a clean cup from a table, got my coffee and sat.  I had to use a saucer for mon pain.  No glass for juice.  Then a group of six came in for breakfast but could get nothing from the Muslim girl – no cups, no plates, no glasses, nothing.  The only sound was breaking glass from the tiny kitchen.  This went on for the half hour I was there.  She finally came out and slammed cups on the tables.  Broken glass on the floor.  Her bad behavior made me want to get her in trouble, complain to the management.  I probably would have if I knew the language well enough.  I don’t need to do that.  Karma will catch up with her.
Paris was full of surprises this lovely summer Saturday.  I took my netbook with me this morning a la Rive Gauche, and I found a children’s playground/park to sit & write a bit.  (I mainly screwed up the page layout of my story and can’t seem to get it right again.)  Then I walked the length of Blvd St Germain.  There was a farmers market which was fun to walk around and a dog unleashed that reminded me so much of my Honey – another reason I am ready to go home.   When I crossed the bridge to Ile St Louis, there was a group of jazz musicians, so I stopped and enjoyed their performance for a while.  Actually sat at a café, ordered a salad (i.e. rented a chair) so I could continue enjoying their performance.  And another street performer – a bubble blower joined them on the bridge (I neglected to get his photo, but I got the band).  Eventually moved on,walking along the river.  On both sides of the river, there are green metal boxes, permanent kiosks, where merchants sell second-hand books, posters, art, souvenirs.  These boxes go back a while in history when the vendors sold revolutionary books and pamphlets.  I bought a CD of Edith Piaf at one of these vendors (oh, also bought the jazz CD too).   Back to my room – carrying my netbook, raincoat, scarf, umbrella, bottles of water – just too much stuff.  At my room, I lightened my load, rested a bit & went back out.  There right in my neighborhood was a string orchestra putting on a free concert – Bizet, Mozart, Vivaldi, Bach.  Another delightful surprise from Paris.  I listened until they broke up, and, yes, I bought their CD.  I have now bought 5 CDs, seems to be my favorite souvenir, but really they deliver hours and hours of entertainment and memories of my trip.
After a sandwich and a scoop of sorbet, I went over to Tuilleries where so many people were lying in the shade enjoying the day.  I did so too for a while.  But I’m tired & really do need down-time.  I hurt.  Hips the most.  (It just occurred to me that maybe those shapers shoes would help strengthen my hip muscles and absorb the shock and pounding that walking causes.  I just might buy a pair of those shoes tomorrow – now that my visit is almost over.)  Anyway, it’s only 7:00pm (that’s 19h French time) on a Saturday evening and I’m turning in.  And it’s ok.  Ok to set my own schedule, ok to take care of my needs, ok to rest.   But what a lovely perfect day.

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting that the "perfect day" could be had anywhere.

    ReplyDelete