Monday, September 19, 2011

Finally, the Louvre

9/8/11 Another nice day with some pleasant surprises and only one faux pas.  After petit dejeuner dans l’hotel, I went to the Louvre.  The admission was only 10e which was my first pleasant surprise today.   Bien sur, la musee et tres grande.  I started on the ground level & made it to the Venus de Milo which is an anonymous creation, and really amazing.  Even without her arms, this sculpture is so serene and elegant.  Tres belle.  Then I went up to the 2nd level where I saw many paintings – can’t name them, but enjoyed the experience.  I also managed to view the Mona Lisa, the Winged Victory, Rubens, Michaelangelo, Leonardi di Vinci, and so many others that I had not heard of.  I had  a lovely lunch in Café Robespierre Angelique of quiche, salad, and chocolate tarte.  I left the museum about 4:30 or 5:00 after buying some cards as gifts and a book for myself. Before I went to my room for a little rest, I went to the little boutique a rue Moliere and bought Anne un bijou.  Then I went out to la Rive Gauche to see what was going on.  Things happen a la Rive Gauche.  I found the little jewelry store I had visited last night.  This time I chose a better ring, one whose symbol means meditation and it only cost 20e (instead of the star ring that cost 30e).  I bought it and am very happy with my purchase.  I was ready to head back towards “home.”  Along the way I stopped at a sidewalk book display.  I bought Heidi in French for 20c!  So I can practice reading French without the shock of stumbling on reading scenes of beheadings and kinky sex.  I got to Place Saint Michel with its monument to the freeing of Paris from the Nazis.  I stopped to take a picture and heard music.  There in the Plaza was a young man playing his original compositions on the piano.  Beautiful free concert in the Plaza.  I bought his CD and am so excited to take this treasure home.  I listened to him play until he closed his performance, then continued my way home.  I stopped at a restaurant for a little bite.  I only wanted to try the foie gras which I ordered.  It was different than I expected – sort of gelatinous, cold, firm.  And  when I didn’t order a full meal, the waiter got disinterested in serving me, which wouldn’t have been a problem if I had had cash on me.  But I had used all my daily ration of cash and needed to pay with a credit card.  Finally, after a long wait, a cashier came & took my charge and I could leave. I didn’t leave a tip because the service was not good.  So the experience was negative on both sides.  But the day had so many gifts and delights, that I can’t hang onto the one negative incident.

I have completed the must-do items of my Paris experience.  I have three more days here.  So tomorrow I will go to Les Halles and la Marais.  They are within walking distance and there are several museums in the area.  Saturday, I plan to buy 2 bus tickets to go to and from Montmartre.  Sunday I will return to les Iles.  And one evening I have to stay out past dark to see the Eiffel Tower lit up.  That’s the plan. We’ll see.

1 comment: