Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Les Halles, Montmartre and the bus system

9/9/11 Today was day six and I think six days would have been enough for this trip.  I’ve seen the major sights, walked all over Paris, and I feel done, tired.  Today the plan was to go east to Les Halles, la Marais, and le Georges Pompidou Center.  Which I did partially.  I walked to Les Halles which is a huge mall built in place of the ancient food market.  It’s a mall – we have those all over the US.  I got a little lost in the area because there is a great deal of construction going on.  So I headed back to my hotel without incident.  Then, since it was only about 11:00, I decided I had plenty of time to learn the bus system and go to Montmartre, which I did.  I bought 2 bus tickets and took the 95 (that’s the quatre-vingt-quinze – 4 x 20 + 15).  Again I got a little lost.  Many of the streets don’t seem to have signs, though I finally found where they are located.  There are plenty of signs about everything, but street signs are on the corner building.  If there are street signs.  After getting off the bus, I just headed up since Sacre Coeur and Montmartre – Tertres Plaza – are at the top of the hill.  I managed to get there, but first I found a nice little restaurant – Moulin de la Galette – for lunch.  I had a fish dish with vegetables (didn’t eat the squid).  Very good meal again.  Then on up the hill.  By the time I got to the Plaza where all the artists and cafes are, it was raining.  Fortunately I had brought my umbrella.  I did say NO emphatically to a couple of artists who wanted to do my caricature/portrait.  Walked around the Plaza and I’m done.  I went into the chapel and just sat still for a while, then went back out when I heard music.  A street performer, singing old-style French songs.  I listened for a while then moved on down the hill.  All the guide books say Montmartre, especially Tertres Plaza, is so touristy and commercialized and I found that to be true.  I do enjoy the street performers though.  Also saw a mime – very good mime – because at first I thought she was a statue.  Going down, down, down the hill, again no street names, just go down till I get to Blvd Clichy. Le Moulin Rouge is at the bottom of the Montmartre hill along with all the sex shops.  I couldn’t find the bus stop for number 95, but a French gentleman, seeing my confusion, gave me directions in French:  allez a droite, tournez au gauche, c’est pres de la cineme.  More walking.  But I found it – thank goodness I have studied and retained some French. 

Back at the hotel, I needed to rest.  Didn’t I mention that I’m tired?  And every meal does not have to be a full, three course event.  Not hungry.   About 6:00pm I went back out, got a snack at Tea by The.  And then waited for the city to light up.  I sat in the plaza at the entrance to the Louvre by the pyramids and fountains.  There were so many people there just milling around, hanging out like me.  I offered to take pictures of several couples so they could both be in the shot.  Eventually, I saw the Eiffel Tower in the distance all lit up, but the pictures didn’t come out good so I deleted them.   Finally went back to my room about 8:30pm.  Tired, almost forgot to write my day. 

Tomorrow, back to la Rive Gauche??  See what’s happening there.  Things do happen there.  Just people watch.  Maybe take my netbook and write.  Pretend I’m Edith Wharton.  Go see the Roman ruins up close.  Good to have a plan – so I can go off it.  C’est tout.

Just a note about chic but casual:  I have seen chic but uncomfortable, and lots of casual, but not chic.  And shoes must be flat, not low-heeled, FLAT.  That’s not for style but for comfort.

Another note: obviously my hands /wrists are ok, nothing broken or sprained.  Good to go.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a nice day. What was wrong with the pictures?

    ReplyDelete